By Neil James: Kell Brook is looking to claim his first world title after being offered a shot at Devon Alexander’s IBF welterweight world in title on January 19th, the Sheffield-born fighter earned at shot with the American after beating Hector Saldivia last month to become the mandatory challenger.
Alexander recently became the title-holder when he defeated former IBF welterweight champion Randall Bailey last month after winning a 12 round unanimous decision at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Kell Brook promoter has confirmed a deal has been offered for the title fight on January 19th at either New York or Las Vegas with an agreement expected to made next week.
Golden Boy Promotions’ CEO Richard Schaefer said; “Alexander-Brook will be part of a tripleheader on January 19th. I ‘m looking at two possible venues, but I don’t want to disclose that until I have it all finished, which is probably going to be early next week,” Schaefer said.
Eddie Hearn had hoped to get the fight in the UK, but this would prove unlikely with Alexander being the champion and Brook being the challenger.
This fight will be Alexander first defence of the IBF title and getting the fight out the US was never going to happen.
Eddie Hearn said: “We have received an offer to fight Devon for the IBF world title on January 19. In principle we are happy with the terms and will now work to try and get this made this week
‘The venue looks like NYC or Vegas but definitely not St Louis (where Alexander is based).”