Ever since its inception, the NFL has become a juggernaut in the realm of sports entertainment. From captivating games and intense rivalries to breathtaking plays and inspiring stories of endurance, there’s always drama within the sport. But alongside all that excitement, another equally-exciting element has been gaining traction, with fans everywhere betting on Football!
Whether you’re a casual fan wanting to make watching your team more exciting or an experienced gambler looking for tips to up their game, this definitive NFL Betting guide will teach you the basics of betting on the game. We’ll provide an overview of how different types of bets work and how betting lines work across multiple platforms and offer key insights into maximizing winning chances while retaining responsible gaming habits.
Different Types of Bets
When it comes to NFL betting, there are a variety of different types of bets you can place. So let’s dive into each one to understand better what they entail.
- Moneyline Bets: This is the most straightforward kind of wager, in which you bet on the outcome of the game based on your prediction of the victorious team. The potential payout is proportional to the posted odds.
- Point Spread Bets: With this type of bet, a handicap is given to each team to make the odds more even. This means that even if one team is favored to win, you can still bet on the underdog to cover the spread and potentially win the bet.
- Totals (Over/Under) Bets: Here, you’re not betting on which team will win but on the game’s total score. You can bet on whether the total score will be over or under the amount the sportsbook sets.
- Futures Bets: As the name suggests, these are bets on future events. For example, you can bet on which team you think will win the Super Bowl before the season starts.
- Prop Bets: Short for “proposition bets,” these are made on specific events that may or may not happen during a game. For instance, you could bet on whether a certain NFL player will score a touchdown or how long the national anthem will be sung before the game.
Tips on Maximizing Winning Chances
Now that you know the different types of bets, let’s look at some tips on maximizing your winning chances.
- Do Your Homework: It’s important to do your due diligence and research each team before placing a bet. Knowing their strengths and weaknesses and any recent developments can help inform your decision on which team to bet on.
- Shop Around for the Best Odds: Sportsbooks offer different odds for the same game, so it pays to shop around and find the best deal. This is especially true when betting on futures, as small differences in odds can make big impacts over time! For example, the Dallas Cowboys upcoming odds may differ across multiple platforms.
- Manage Your Bankroll: Money management is a key element in any type of gambling, and it’s no different when it comes to NFL betting. Figure out how much you can comfortably afford to lose and stick to that amount. That way, you’ll be able to enjoy the games without too much risk or worry.
- Have Fun: Remember that betting on football should be enjoyable! If you don’t have fun with it, then there’s no point in playing. So make sure to place bets responsibly and keep track of your winnings so that you can enjoy the process for years to come!
Responsible Gaming Habits to Adopt
Betting on football can be a great way to add some extra excitement to your Sundays, but it’s important to consider the potential risks. So here are some tips for responsible gaming habits:
- Set Limits: It’s easy to get carried away when you’re winning, so set limits on how much you are willing to bet per week and stick with them!
- Don’t Chase Losses: If things aren’t going your way, don’t keep betting to recoup your losses. Instead, take a break and come back with a clear head.
- Seek Help if Needed: Gambling should never become an issue or lead to financial hardship. However, if you think you’re having problems with gambling, a variety of organizations are available to help.