Updated: May 22, 2020
By Nathan Willis: Dillian Whyte has reignited his war of words with current WBC champion Tyson Fury, the Brixtion-born fighter has long been waiting for his shot at the prestigious title. Since 2017 Dillian Whyte has campaigned for a title shot, although he has been promised numerous title fights nothing has materialized.
WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman has previously confirmed that Dillian Whyte had secured a shot at the WBC title by February 2021, but Dillian Whyte feels he has waited around long enough and isn’t optimistic about what Sulaiman says.
Dillian Whyte has become frustrated at the WBC, he insists that Sulamian says lot, but doesn’t do a lot when it comes to it, so Whyte has his reservations.
Dillian Whyte has issued a “lets go” challenge to Tyson Fury in an attempt to secure a fight the Londoner, Whyte has said that he “bashed” Fury before in sparring and fancies his chances at toppling the WBC Champ. Dillian Whyte also insisted that he floored Tyson Fury on “multiple occasions” when they shared the ring.
When speaking about his heavyweight rival, Dillian Whyte had this to say; “He just needs to stop talking rubbish and let’s have a go. It will be a major fight. Let’s have it out,”
“He’s the one that come out and said he beat me up in the gym and stuff like that. I can tell you now, that didn’t happen. I don’t like telling sparring stories, but people in the game know. They know about me.
“Well, me and Tyson Fury sparred and I bashed him about and dropped him on multiple occasions. Simple as that.
“If I was such an easy fight, why is he not in any rush to fight me? He said before beating Wilder, when I beat Wilder, I’m going to give Dillian Whyte his title shot. He just talks rubbish.
“This is war, let’s go.”
There is only one slight problem with Whyte facing Fury anytime soon.
Tyson Fury has contractual obligations to face Deontay Wilder next, the American activated his rematch clause following Tyson Fury’s KO win against Wilder back in February. The only chance Whyte has of facing Fury next would be if Deontay Wilder would accept step-aside money, but the American has already stated that he wouldn’t be prepared to do that.
With the sports schedule currently being disrupted by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, it has only made the situation worse with all sporting events being put back to later dates.
If Deontay Wilder would of won the first Fury fight, Whyte would of probably already fought Deontay Wilder. But because that fight was a close draw, with most thinking it was a dubious decision at best. The public cried out for an immediate rematch, Fury was then made mandatory challenger to then champion Deontay Wilder for the second fight which pushed Dillian Whyte further down the line, Fury then shocked the world and won the rematch in America becoming WBC champ. Following the aftermath of Fury’s victory over Wilder, the American activated his rematch clause and again this put Whyte chances back once again.
Dillian Whyte doesn’t know what else he need to do final secure a title shot, He has been risking his mandatory position since 2017 defeating all that was put in front of him.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has insisted that Whyte is next in line to fight for the WBC title following Fury vs Wilder III and he also confirmed that he has been guaranteed the fight by the deadline of February 2021.
Speaking earlier Sulaiman said: “Well he is the mandatory contender. He’s the WBC ‘interim’ champion and the date that was set for the next mandatory is February 2021 – and that’s the way it stands right now.
“The WBC is going to look at every single weight category, with the championships and with the mandatories, and every single situation that has to do with each particular situation regarding this pandemic, but Dilian Whyte is the mandatory for February 2021.”