Last Updated on 13 May 2021 4:19 pm (UK Time)
Carl Froch has been ordered by the IBF to start negotiations with James DeGale or risk losing the belt. If Carl’s team fail to come to an agreement by the end of January his mandatory challenger James DeGale will be free to face American Andre Dirrell for the title.
James DeGale earned his shot as the IBF mandatory challenger by beating Brandon Gonzales on the Froch-Groves II undercard by TKO in Round 4.
DeGale has since campaigned for a fight against ‘The Cobra’. He wants his title shot should Froch v Chavez Jr fail to materialize.
IBF Championship chairman Lindsey E Tucker has ordered Froch to defend his IBF title against James DeGale
The IBF Championships chairman said: “We sent him a letter on December 31, ordering him to start negotiating with mandatory challenger James DeGale.
“They have 30 days to negotiate. If they don’t reach a decision, then we call for a purse bid.”
Carl Froch had been hoping to secure a fight with Julio César Chávez Jr in Las Vegas. The Mexican is under contract with Top Rank and Bob Arum says that Chavez Jr is contracted to one more fight with Top Rank.
Chavez Jr has been in a battle to get out of his contract in order to sign elsewhere, but so far he has been unsuccessful and Arum is of the opinion that he will not take on Froch next without his approval.
“It’s not going to happen (Chavez Jr.-Froch) because Chavez is under contract with us, period. And until he honors the contract with us no fight is going to happen without everybody being subject to litigation,” Arum said.
The Nottingham man has not been in action since he defeated George Groves at Wembley in May.
Carl will need to either relinquish the belt to allow DeGale to battle Dirrell for the IBF strap or retire.
The IBF are very serious about wanting their champions to defend their titles.