Published on 13 May 2021 3:34 pm (UK Time)
Deontay Wilder has finally accepted the terms to challenge Anthony Joshua in the UK for a 60/40 purse split in a fight to decide the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.
Since Anthony Joshua beat Joseph Parker on Saturday night, winning a unanimous points decision at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, there has been a lot of speculation regarding making the fight between the two champions.
Joshua called out the American – vowing to spark him out when the two meet, Wilder holds the WBC title, while Joshua holds the WBA, IBF, and the recently acquired WBO. Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel has responded to the challenge, saying the American fighter’s team are prepared to begin immediate negotiations over a unification fight.
“We are really glad that Anthony Joshua said for the first time: ‘I will fight Deontay next…’ and we believe he is a man of his word. Deontay accepts the challenge,” Finkel told the Telegraph.
“We want to make it public that Deontay wants the fight, and we are prepared to come over, or meet here and get the deal done. Deontay is ready to sign and come to the UK to fight this summer.”
Following Joshua win, Wilder’s Instagram post read: “What a robbery, wow. Joseph Parker great job bro, oh my God don’t apologise you did nothing wrong, you’re a true champion. Anthony Joshua I accept 100%.” Wilder’s co-manager says: ‘Deontay wants the fight’ ‘Deontay is ready to sign and come to the UK to fight this summer’
On Sunday, Eddie Hearn said their would be a small window of opportubity before Joshua would be forced to face his three mandatory challengers or risk having to give up some titles, in reponse Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel said: “We’re ready. Let’s do it. And anyway, unification fights always trump mandatories. A unification between Wilder and Joshua would push the mandatories back.
“Assuming it will be Wembley Stadium in the summer, we are ready, and if they are ready as they say they are, we want to get it done. We want the fight, they want the fight, the public wants the fight. There is nothing to stop it going ahead.”
Finkell revealed Wilder’s and Joshua’s representatives met in New York at the end of last year to discuss a two-fight deal – one in the UK and the other across the Atlantic.
Wilder’s people didn’t hear back after those initial talks, but Finkel confirmed he was more than happy for his fighter to come over here for the first fight this summer if that’s what it took to get this show on the road.
After Shelly Finkel’s comments surfaced, Matchroom boxing responded by posting a video of AJ calling out Wilder to their official Twitter page.
He added: “We want to make it public that Deontay wants the fight, and we are prepared to come over, or meet here and get the deal done.